Pups of purebred dogs pretty much all look alike on the outside, for the most part, and tend to have similar temperaments and personalities. However, no two mixed breed dogs are exactly alike, even ones that come from the same litter. By its very definition, a mixed breed dog is a mix of different breeds. Whether the parents are mixed themselves or they are two different purebreds, the pups are considered “mixed breeds.”
Mixed breed dogs are commonly referred to as mutts or mixes, and are not sought after like purebred dogs that people tend to pay a lot of money for. However, they tend to be much healthier and live longer lives because they have not been inbred and exposed to genetic problems that plague each specific breed. For example, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels have a genetic pre-disposition to developing heart problems and Retrievers have a genetic pre-disposition to developing hip dysplasia.
Because they are not bred “on purpose,” you will find a large population of mixes in shelters and with rescue organizations across the country. If you are thinking about adopting a mixed breed from a shelter and are wondering what some of the benefits of adoption are – here are a few things to think about:
1. You are rescuing a dog and saving its life!
2. Your mixed pup can participate in obedience and agility trials.
3. Your mixed pup can take the Canine Good Citizen test.
4. Your mixed pup can help others and enrich their lives by being a therapy dog.
5. Your mixed pup can help others and enrich their lives by working as a service dog.
6. Your mixed pup can bring joy, friendship and laughter to your home for many, many years to come!
Many mixed breed dogs get dealt a bad hand as they start their lives either on the street on in a shelter, but you can change all of that by adopting one (or more!) that catches your eye, and captures your heart. Mixed breed pups tend to always realize and remember where they came from and how their lives started, and are forever grateful to you for adopting them and giving them a loving home.